Hello friends, my name is Fernando Gilgado and I am going to tell you my incidents in the Origami World. For those who are interested, I say that I was born in Madrid (Spain) in 1975 and I got the Degree in Library Sciences, that is, I studied to work in libraries, archives and documentation centers. Nowadays I work in a Archive. Nevertheless my true vocation is to be author of paper models.
Since childhood I was interested in doing things with my hands, and I had sometimes tried folding paper, but it was not until 1994 that I contacted the group of Madrid of the Spanish Association of Papirofléxia. I discovered the incredible world of the paperfolding, wich ranges from simple toys for children to authentic artworks.Step by step I began to fold models by all the Origami Masters of the world, more and more complicated, until one day I invented my first model. It was kind of a hen I felt quite proud of. Nevertheless my favorite models are monsters and dinosaurs, so all my efforts were focused on creating this kind of models.
- In 1997 I published my first book, "Dinosaurios de Papel". It was a rough handmade book but it gave my models the chance to be known. It was also the book I carried to my first trip to an international congress in France, together with Aníbal Voyer. It was an unforgettable experience, where I met lovely people which in spite of the distance share the same enthusiasm in folding paper.
- In 1998, after many hours in front of my new computer, I published a second book, this time dedicated to the monster subject. Thanks to it, people began to know me and I started friendly relationships by letter with people from all over the world (Australia included!). That same year and thanks to Dino Andreozzi's invitation, I had the chance to visit Sweden and at the first congress of this association.
- In 1999, moved by my interest in origami and its possibilities, I began to teach origami to children, through the AEP. Teaching origami to small children is a very stimulating experience although high doses of patience are requiredThat year I also attended the congress of the French association of Origami again, thanks to Claudine Pisasale's invitation.
- In the year 2000 I attended as a guest to the 12º congress of the Origami Deutshland in Hohenwart, where I met great international origami masters and many German peopleThis year, together with great folders like Anibal Voyer, I published my first book with an Editorial: "Fantasias de Papel".
- In the 2001 I returned to the dinosaur subject and published another dinosaur book "El Gran Libro de los Dinosaurios de Papel" where I made a review to the Jurassic fauna.
- In the year 2002 I was lucky to be invited to the congress of the M.F.F.P. in France and to begin to collaborate with Ediciones Tutor in origami topics. Fruits of this collaboration are a new edition of my books of dinosaurs, as long as translations and even a DVD on origami.
- In the year 2003 I published "Dinosaurios: Primer Nivel" with Tutor.
- In the year 2004 I published "Dinosaurios: Segundo Nivel" with Tutor and "Navidad de Papiroflexia", with Blume.
- In the year 2005 I published "Papiroflexia Mágica", with Blume.
- In 2006 I was invited to Italy, to the congress of the C.D.O. It was a wonderfull experience.
- In 2008 I published three books titled "Papirolandia 1", "Papirolandia 2" and "Dinogami".
- In 2010 I have published a new book titled "Papiroflexia Bicolor".
Well, this is a broad outline of my experiences with origami. I hope you'll realize that a simple piece of paper is not only a passtime, but can also give you wonderful experiences and make you know tons of wonderful people all over the world.